Mar 03, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [OFFICIAL CATALOG]

Financial Aid & Scholarships


Student Services Center, 2nd Floor | (501) 569-3127 | fax (501) 569-8956 |

Students who want to enroll at UA Little Rock should correspond with the Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible because official determination of eligibility for financial aid can be made only on receipt of official credentials.

UA Little Rock offers aid from various sources including federal and state governments, UA Little Rock, and private organizations, to help students pay for their studies. Financial aid and Scholarships are meant to supplement a student’s ability to pay for college costs including tuition and fees, room and board, books, supplies, transportation, and other educational expenses.

To be eligible for any form of financial aid, a student must be accepted for admission with an eligible admission status and be enrolled at UA Little Rock as a degreeseeking student. Students who wish to apply for financial assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) each year. Students may apply online at Applications are available in October of each year for the upcoming academic year that begins in August students are encouraged to apply early.

Additional information on financial aid can be obtained at (501) 569-3035 or by email at

Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid available to UA Little Rock students includes grants, loans, scholarships, and employment. Aid packages can include a combination of different types of aid.

  1. Grants: financial aid that the recipient does not have to pay back.
  2. Loans: borrowed money that must be repaid with interest.
  3. Scholarships: gift aid with eligibility based on academic achievements, talents, skills, or merit.
  4. Employment: part-time on-campus and community service jobs that allow the student to earn money to help pay for school.

The majority of the financial aid available at UA Little Rock is provided by the federal government. The State of Arkansas also provides student aid, as do UA Little Rock and its contributors.

Federal Aid

The U.S. Department of Education provides funding for grants, student loans, scholarships, and employment. Most awards are based on financial need; some are based on merit. Federal student aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students, Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work Study, and various scholarship awards. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application required for all federal financial aid and can be completed online at The UA Little Rock school code is 001101.

State Aid

The Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) provides loans, grants, and scholarships to Arkansas residents enrolled at UA Little Rock. Award criteria include financial need, academic achievement, and/or study of specific subjects. For additional information about financial aid, call ADHE at (800) 54-STUDY, or in the Little Rock area, (501) 371-2050, or visit Programs like the Arkansas Academic Challenge (lottery) Scholarship require the YOUniversal application to be completed by June 1. Awards may be renewable and can be a great financial supplement.

Private Aid

UA Little Rock offers scholarships and grants-in-aid provided by institutional and departmental funds, private foundations, corporations, and individuals. Eligibility requirements vary. Criteria for different  scholarships include academic achievement, demonstrated talent or ability, a specific major or student classification, university or community involvement, and/or financial need. Some scholarships are available for part-time students.

Different scholarships have different final deadlines. Learn more about scholarship opportunities at Scholarships may be awarded for academic merit, talent, or in support of your your academic program of study. Students are encouraged to apply for the many funding opportunities.

Veterans Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides basic programs for veterans and service members seeking assistance for education or training. Veterans and service members who entered the military from January 1, 1977, through June 30, 1985, may receive educational assistance under the Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) contributory plan. Individuals entering on active duty after June 30, 1985, may receive benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill contributory plan. Another educational entitlement program, referred to as the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (chapter 1606 and 1607 REAP), is available for members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. Note: The Post 9/11 GI Bill is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Please visit the GI Bill website or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 for additional information.

The noncontributory GI Bill ended on December 31, 1989. No benefits are payable for any training pursued on or after January 1, 1990, under this bill.

Monthly educational assistance benefits are based on the number of hours of enrollment. Full-time enrollment for an undergraduate student during fall and spring terms is 12 hours or more; three-quarter enrollment is 9 to 11 hours; half-time enrollment is 6 to 8 hours. For fewer than six hours only tuition and fees are reimbursed, except in the case of the MGIB for Selected Reserve/National Guard (Chapter 1606), these benefits are based on one-fourth of the full-time amount. Full-time enrollment for graduate students during fall and spring terms is 9 hours or more; three-quarters enrollment is 6 to 8 hours; half-time enrollment is 3 to 5 hours. Summer benefits for both graduate and undergraduate students are based on the number of hours enrolled and the number of weeks in the term.

There are Survivors/Dependents benefits for eligible persons. For further information contact the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.

Other services available under the Veteran’s Affairs educational benefits include tutorial assistance, educational loans, and work-study.

Students classified as non-degree seeking or provisional may be eligible to receive Veteran’s Education benefits for one semester.

All eligible persons wishing to apply for Veteran’s Affairs educational benefits should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs at (501) 682-VETS (8387).

Scholarships for Freshmen

UA Little Rock offers a number of competitive scholarships. Chancellor’s Leadership Corps Scholarships are awarded to freshmen who have demonstrated outstanding leadership capability in high school activities. Donaghey Scholars Program Scholarships are most often awarded to high school seniors with exceptional academic promise.

EIT Scholar scholarships are awarded to outstanding entering students in Computer Science, Information Science, and Systems Engineering. EAST Scholarships are available to selected students who participated in the EAST Program in high school. Science Scholars is a scholarship and enrichment program for students majoring in biology, chemistry, and earth science.

Entering Freshman Scholarships are based on availability of funds and awarded to selected high school seniors who meet the deadline and academic criteria. A Freshman Award may also be available to students with an ACT composite score of at least 22. There are also scholarships available to students transferring from Arkansas public junior and community colleges. Applications and further information for these scholarships are available online. Students are encouraged to by the priority deadline.

Private Scholarships and Awards

The Office of Development publishes a comprehensive list of private scholarships and awards available to all students. Additional information and applications can be obtained by contacting the Office of Alumni and Development at (501) 569-3194.

Interested students should inquire early. Call (501) 569-8399, for general information or a referral to the appropriate scholarship advisor.