Donald W. Reynolds Center, Room 205 | (501) 569-3358 | (501) 569-7021 (fax) | ualr.edu/marketing
Mitchell, Robert B., Professor
|Sales Center Director:
Davis, Lenita M., Professor
||Geissler, Gary L.
||Gilliam, David A.
The primary mission of the department is to prepare students for a professional career in marketing, advertising, or sales in the private and public sectors. The knowledge, analytical skills, and technical expertise required of marketing professionals are emphasized.
The curriculum also provides a solid foundation for students planning graduate study in marketing and business. Marketing majors are required to achieve a grade of C or greater in all courses required of their major; all majors must complete all required pre-business and professional business courses with an overall GPA of 2.0.
Students completing a marketing degree should accomplish the following educational objectives:
- Develop an understanding of the role of marketing in the global economy and within individual organizations.
- Develop an understanding of the ethical and social responsibilities of marketers.
- Develop an understanding of the nature and methods of marketing management, including marketing organization, marketing strategy planning, the development of marketing plans and programs, and the implementation and control of marketing programs.
- Develop an understanding of the nature of the marketing environment and the process of environmental analysis.
- Develop an understanding of the nature of consumer and institutional buyer markets, including an understanding of consumer and institutional buyer behavior.
- Develop an understanding of the process of market segmentation and finding target market opportunities.
- Develop an appreciation of the value of marketing information and an understanding of the marketing research process for obtaining marketing information.
- Develop an understanding of the marketing mix variables used by marketers in decision making, including the following:
- Product management.
- Marketing logistics management Marketing communications and promotion management pricing management.
Major Requirements for Degrees in the Department of Marketing and Advertising
Students will choose an emphasis in General Marketing, Advertising/Integrated Marketing Communication, or Professional Sales. The degree requirements for the degrees offered in the marketing and advertising department at UA Little Rock are outlined in the following charts.
Minors in Marketing and Advertising/Public Relations
The department offers minors in marketing, advertising/public relations, and professional selling.
ProgramsBachelor of Business AdministrationMinorCertificate of Proficiency