M.S. in Business Information Systems and Analytics(BISA) candidates must possess strong academic preparation and strong aptitude for graduate study in business. Consequently, the admission requirements embody evidence of both prior academic achievement (GPA) and probability of successful performance in the BISA program (GMAT or GRE score). Students seeking automatic admission to the M.S. in BISA program must meet one of the following criteria:
1. (200 x cumulative GPA) + GMAT score (or converted GRE score) ≥ 1020, OR
2. (200 x GPA from last 60 undergraduate hours) + GMAT score (or converted GRE score) ≥ 1080
Regardless of total points, the minimum acceptable GPA is 2.5, the minimum acceptable GMAT score is 420, and the minimum acceptable GRE score is equivalent to the minimum GMAT score when converted. GMAT or GRE scores used for admission must be taken within the past five years.
Students completing the Business Analytics Graduate Certificate (BUAL-GC) with a 3.0 or higher GPA will be admitted to the Masters of Science in Business Information Systems and Analytics program. They will not have to take the GMAT/GRE if successfuly completing BUAL-GC.
Waiver of GMAT or GRE Requirement:
The M.S. in BISA coordinator may waive the GMAT requirement for applicants who
- Hold a graduate degree or who are currently enrolled in a graduate or professional degree program with equivalent admission standards, OR
- Have at least a 3.25 GPA from an AACSB-accredited business school (including UALR), OR
- Can substantiate through written documentation that the combination of their academic and professional accomplishment makes them highly prepared for success in a rigorous graduate program. This may include holding analytically oriented professional or technical certification (i.e., CCDA, CISM, CISSP, MSCA, MSCE, VCP, etc.), current job responsibilities that substantiate preparedness and analytical skills (e.g., data analytics, strategic analysis, etc.), 3.5 or higher GPA from a highly reputable non-business program, OR
- Have at least a 2.5 GPA in a degree as described in 2 or 3 above combined with a minimum of 5 years of postbaccalaureate, professional work experience showing managerial duties and promotion to increasing levels of responsibility.
All GMAT waivers will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. To be considered for a GMAT waiver, candidates must first begin an application. A current resume will be required for GMAT waiver eligibility and unofficial transcripts may be requested. A brief, one page maximum, written request outlining why a GMAT waiver should be granted is required. The BISA graduate faculty reserve the right to interview GMAT waiver candidates at its discretion.
M.S. in BISA applicants who do not meet the criteria for full admission are encouraged to apply and may be admitted conditionally. Decisions concerning conditional admission will be made by the BISA graduate faculty (or a subcommittee thereof). Factors considered in requests for conditional admission will include the following: scores on other standardized exams, grades in the undergraduate major, or other pertinent data that indicate the applicant will perform satisfactorily in the M.S. in BISA program. Students conditionally admitted to the M.S. in BISA program must achieve a 3.25 GPA in the first 12 hours of study, or they will be dismissed.
UA Little Rock students enrolled in the BBA in Business Information Systems or Business Analytics degree who meet the requirements below may receive early admission into the master of science program in Business Information Systems and Analytics and thus count up to 12 hours of coursework for both the undergraduate and graduate degree. Participating students combine their undergraduate studies with related graduate-level work and can complete their graduate degree in a shorter amount of time than the traditional path.
Undergraduate students may apply and be accepted any time after completing 75 or more hours of undergraduate coursework. However, at least 90 hours of undergraduate coursework must have been completed by the time the first graduate course is taken.
- All applicants must have at least a 3.25 overall GPA.
- All applicants must complete an application for and be accepted into the MS in Business Information Systems and Analytics program and the UA Little Rock Graduate School.
- All applicants must complete an Early-Entry Program form and have it approved by the graduate coordinator of the MS in BISA program, the graduate director of the School of Business, and the Graduate School. This form must be approved before the student begins graduate coursework. Failure to obtain prior approval negates the ability to “double count” courses.
- Once accepted into the program, students must maintain a 3.0 overall average in their undergraduate coursework and, as required by the Graduate School, no grades below a B. Otherwise the student will be dismissed from the graduate program.
Once accepted into a graduate program, students can take up to 12 hours of graduate coursework, which will count towards both the baccalaureate degree and the graduate degree. Students must finish their baccalaureate degrees before they complete 15 hours of graduate coursework.
Note: Students may request a break of up to two semesters between completion of their BBA degree and start of their Business Information Systems and Analytics (BISA) courses, as stated in the UA Little Rock Graduate Student Leave of Absence Policy (Policy #509.12). If a student does not resume graduate studies after the approved leave time expires, the student will then be released from the Early Entry BBA to MS in Business Information Systems Program. The student may then reapply to the graduate program using the regular admission process. Applications to the Early Entry Program should be submitted to the MS in Business Information Systems and Analytics coordinator.
Competency in Object-Oriented programming (BINS 5312 or equivalent), which can be met with prior course work or experience. A high impact experiential learning activity, such as an internship, competition, or industry-based project, is required for graduation from the M.S. in Business Information Systems and Analytics degree.