Sep 28, 2021
Undergraduate students enrolled in the B.S. program in Information Science can apply to Graduate School using an early entry program form for admission into the M.S. program in Information Science (MSIS) or Information Quality (MSIQ) programs.
The Bachelor of Science to Master of Science in Information Science is designed to provide a student working towards a B.S. in Information Science a means to complete the requirements for their undergraduate degree along with an M.S. degree in Information Science in a shorter amount of time than the traditional path.
Students are strongly encouraged to apply to the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. program before the end of their junior year to help ensure that they have the full subsequent year to begin taking appropriate courses for graduate credit, lessening the course load they will need to carry in their fifth year.
- Undergraduate students can apply for the Early Entry Bachelor of Science to Master of Science in Information Quality program any time after completing 75 hours or more of undergraduate coursework. Students must have completed MATH 1451 (or acceptable transfer work) with a C or better.
- All applicants must have at least an overall GPA of 3.5. Students who have transferred to our program can participate in the B.S. to M.S. program provided their relevant transfer coursework (i.e., courses taken at another institution used to meet our IFSC degree requirements) also meet the 3.5 minimum GPA criteria. The GRE requirement for the M.S. program is waived for students with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher.
Admission Requirements, GRE Exam, and Graduate Certificates
The graduate Information Quality program requires the GRE exam.
Students who successfully complete Graduate Certificates in Data Science or Information Quality are eligible to waive the GRE requirement and continue in the Information Quality or Information Quality M.S. programs. Courses in the Graduate Certificate are an embedded subset of their respective Master programs and students in Early Entry Graduate Certificate programs are required to complete the Certificate courses first. They are then eligible to apply for the M.S. based on successful performance in their first four graduate courses:
- Students with an overall GPA between 3.2 and 3.5 may apply using the GRE option.
- Students taking the GRE who score in the 50th percentile or higher for Verbal and Quantitative can enter the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. program with a lesser GPA.
- Applicants with an overall GPA of less than 3.2 are not eligible to participate in the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. program.
Things to Know
- All applicants must complete an application for and be accepted into the or Information Quality M.S. program and the UA Little Rock Graduate School.
- All applicants must complete an Early Entry B.S. to M.S. Program form and have it approved by the Graduate Coordinator and Graduate School. This form must be approved before the student begins graduate coursework. Failure to obtain prior approval negates the ability to “double count” courses.
- Once accepted into the program, students need to maintain at least a 3.0 overall average in their undergraduate coursework and per UA Little Rock Graduate School Guidelines, a 3.0 overall average in their graduate coursework.
Once a completed application has been received by the Information Quality Department, the student will be notified quickly, generally within 30 days, whether they have been accepted into the MSIQ Early Entry B.S. to M.S. program. The program accepts a limited number of students each year, and applicants will be considered for admission on a competitive basis.
- Complete graduate application form for the UA Little Rock Graduate School,
- Complete Early Entry B.S. to M.S. Program form for the MSIQ program.
- Submit transcript including transferred courses (Note: GPA must be recalculated to include all relevant transfer work being applied towards the completion of the B.S. in Information Quality).
- Submit written statements of career goals and reasons for applying to the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. program.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a university faculty member (letters must be submitted directly by recommenders)
- Submit your application to the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. Program Coordinator, Dr. Elizabeth Pierce at email@example.com as a single WORD or PDF document.
Students Rights and Responsibilities
Acceptance into the B.S. to M.S. program indicates a commitment by the student to pursue the M.S. degree after the completion of the B.S. in Information Quality.
- Students may request a break of up to two semesters between the completion of their B.S. and the start of their MSIQ courses per the UA Little Rock Graduate Student Leave of Absence Policy (Policy#509.12). However, if a student does not resume their graduate studies after their approved leave time expires, the student will then be released from the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. Program. The student is then welcome to apply to the MSIQ programs using the regular admission process and to be advised accordingly.
- The MSIQ graduate program also offers the option of a Graduate Certificate in Information Quality (4 courses). Students will be encouraged to complete the four courses that make up the Graduate Certificate first. While any four courses of the M.S. could be taken by the student while they are an undergraduate, taking the four courses that make up the certificate allows the student to at least complete a Graduate Certificate in conjunction with their B.S. if they choose not to finish the M.S. program.
Note: Students interested in earning the Graduate Certificate in addition to the M.S. degree will need to request admission to both programs.
Note: The MSIQ is offered using distance technologies so it is possible for students to complete the degree remotely.
- To ensure that they follow the proper degree plan, students must meet with the Early Entry B.S. to M.S. Program Coordinator upon acceptance to the B.S. to M.S. program to map out the graduate courses they will take.
- Accepted students will have provisional status in the graduate program pending the award of their baccalaureate degree.
- If at the end of his/ her baccalaureate degree, an Early Entry B.S. to M.S. student has failed to meet the Graduate School admission requirements of a 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA with no grades below a B, she/he will be dismissed from the graduate program.
Students will be advised to review the Scholastic Standards of the UA Little Rock Graduate School (Policy 509.15) so they are aware that if they are academically dismissed from the B.S. to M.S. program then they are not eligible to pursue any other graduate study options at UA Little Rock.
- Students accepted into the Early B.S. to M.S. program will be subject to the same policies as traditionally matriculated graduate students.
- The Early B.S. to M.S. program may not be used in conjunction with the credit reservation program; therefore, no graduate courses taken before admission to the B.S. to M.S. program may be applied to a graduate degree.
Information Science and Information Quality Courses
To see the courses and detailed information for the Information Science B.S. degree, Graduate Certificate, and M.S. degree, see links below: